Discover the 4 core skills needed to play soccer and the 4 main moments that define a soccer game. In this article, I will explain
- The four main moments of soccer
- What skills you must have to play soccer well
- Why technical skills are only part of the story
- How you should learn to play soccer
The four main moments of soccer
In a soccer game, there are 4 main moments of the game.
- We are in possession of the ball
- The other team has possession of the ball
- We have just won regained possession of the ball
- We have just lost possession of the ball
Each of these "moments" require different skills, actions and formations
What skills you must have to play soccer well
There are also 4 main skills that are needed
- 1v1, being able to beat an opposition with a move, change of direction or change of pace
- 1st touch – being able to receive a ball from a team mate or from an intercepted pass from the other team and making sure that your 1st touch puts the ball where you want it. It may be a first timepass, it may be to put a ball in position for a pass, or it may be to shield the ball.
- Passing and striking the ball. being able to have an accurate pass with the right "weight" of the pass
- Running with the ball – keeping the ball in your control while moving the ball – This is not dribbling!
Why technical skills are only part of the story
Having great skill and technique is a common attribute of all great players, but great soccer players have more than that!
Great players have the ability to:
- assess the situtuation and understand what is happening
- make a decision on what is the best course of action
- Perform that action or skill to perfection
Sound simple right?
Sorry, but its not. All of those 3 things are done in less than a second, and making an error in any of themcan change the game.
How you should learn to play soccer
The key to learning how to play soccer is
Pretty obvious huh?
What should you practice?
Here is the nuts and bolts of what you need to do. Any drill or exercise that you do must have the following
- Be game like eg 1 v1
- Ensure players need to make a decision.
- Be competitive and fun
Good awareness, decisions and skills need to be rewarded
Poor awareness, decisions and skills need to be punished.
Where to from Here?
My experience as a coach has developed players that have represented
- State and
- National teams.
I am now the technical director at Eastern Lions Soccer Club. We play in the National Premier League
The mini course that I have put together covers all of the main aspects that will help you as a coach, parent or player.
Sign Up for the Mini Course Now
Its FREE and will ensure that you or your son/daughter or team will play better soccer and have more fun